Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cheap and Easy Cheesy Bread

When dinner came around tonight, I hadn't made it to the store yet. I knew we were having spaghetti but I also never got around to making french bread like I planned. So today's recipe is one that I haven't made in years, but worked in a pinch.

When Dave & I were first married, the only dishes I could competently make were tacos and spaghetti. But our budget was so small that I really couldn't afford all the side dishes that normally go with them, like garlic bread. Instead, I would make cheesy bread as a side dish for spaghetti. Now I use coupons and have a bigger grocery budget, so we can afford to buy garlic bread, but this still works when you are short on time and/or resources.

Ingredients:

8 pieces of bread (I used white, but wheat should work fine too)
Spreadable Butter (not your normal stick butter you bake with)
Shredded Cheese (amounts are up to you, but at least 1-2 cups. Kinds of cheese are also up to you, I had cheddar blends that I used)

The first rule of baking is to preheat the oven and this recipe needs 350 degrees.

Grab a baking sheet (I normally use one with sides that is not an air-bake) and spray it with cooking spray. Butter one side of each piece of bread and place them on the baking sheet, butter side up. Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top of each slice of bread, until they are covered.

Bake in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the bread is a "toast" like texture without being burnt.

To make it more like "garlic" bread, you can sprinkle garlic powder onto the bread after you spread the butter but before you add the cheese. Don't go overboard (did that a time or two many years ago!).

It's not the greatest thing out there. It certainly not real garlic bread, but it works in a pinch and can save you when your family expects bread to go with your Italian meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment