Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Granola Bars

I bought oats a couple weeks ago and have been wanting to make something with them. I kept telling myself I'd make Oatmeal cookies. Finally, today, I sat down to make them. Then at the last minute I changed my mind and made granola bars! The nice part of this recipe is that you can throw in your own extras so you can make them all your own.

Ingredients:

4 cups rolled oats (traditional, not quick or instant)
2/3 cup white flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour (if you don't have it, substitute white flour, making it 1 cup total)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted
2/3 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup brown sugar
Up to 2 cups of mix ins (I used 1/2 cup peanut butter chips, 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1 cup chopped walnuts)

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Combine everything but your mix ins in a large bowl. Yup, throw it all together and mix well with your electric mixer
3. Add your mix ins and mix them in by hand, using a spatula.
4. Spread the mixture across a baking sheet with edges. I also used my new bar cookie pan which worked exceedingly well for this!
5. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes until slightly brown.
6. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then cut into bars.

This should make 24 bars, and because I'm on a health kick, you get the calorie information too!

Based on the way I made it for 24 bars:

Calories: 194
Total Fat: 10.7
Cholesterol: 10.4
Sodium: 54.9
Carbohydrates: 31.9
Dietary Fiber: 3.4
Protein: 3.1

4 comments:

  1. Great idea!
    Stopping by via the Wednesday hops to say hello and to follow. Hope to see you visit soon!
    http://poshonabudget.com/2010/12/happy-wednesday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound Great! Thank you for sharing!
    I'm a new follower, found you the Wednesday Blog Hop, please feel free sometime to stop by my blog, thank you and have a great week!
    http://www.nontypicalmom.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. We make granola bars quite often. I use a recipe I found in an Amish cookbook and is no-bake. They are quite similar in construction to rice krispie bars and so tasty. When I want it a little healthier I add dried fruit to balance the marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to make granola bars, just never really knew where to start! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete