Thursday, January 13, 2011

Their Mother's Apple Pie



Ok, it may not be your mother's apple pie, but it is good. Apples were on sale this week at a couple places and I picked up 6 of them. Then I got my first chance to use my brand new apple corer/slicer! WHOO HOO! And yes, that's my brand new apple corer/slicer in the picture above! So I made apple pie.

I love apple pie. I love making apple pie. And I love the whipped topping you put on top of apple pie. What I don't like is making pie crust. That's because I suck at making pie crust. I can't make one at all. Which is why I bought my crust. Yup, I cheated. I'll freely admit it. If anyone has an easy pie crust recipe, please share it with me (and if you don't mind, I'll share it with everyone else! You'll get full credit in the form of a guest post!)

Ok, so the recipe:

1 recipe (or pre-bought) double pie crust (this means both top and bottom)
5 Apples, cored and sliced (and peeled if you want, I don't like to peel them, though)
1 cup sugar
1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice (optional, I don't but many people do)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
2 Tablespoons flour

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

2. Throw all the ingredients into a bowl and mix it all around. I mean throw it all around and use your hands! It's very therapeutic. I love, love, love mixing it all. Sorry, I was distracted by a phone call as I was finishing up the mixing and forgot to take a picture. Oops!


3. Press the bottom of the pie crust into the bottom of the pie pan and add the apples. If you have any of the dry ingredients sitting on the bottom of the bowl, throw them on top and mix a little more.

4. Add the top layer of the pie crust over the apples. Mush together the top and bottom edges of the crust (yes, mush is my technical term. Go with it!)

5. Cut 4 "X"s into the outer sides of the top pie crust. This will help vent the pie while it cooks. If you want, you can cover the outer edges of the pie with aluminum foil while you bake it. This will prevent the outer edges from over-crisping/burning. I didn't this time, because it turns out I'm out of aluminum foil. Oops again!



6. Bake for an hour. I baked mine for 45 minutes and while it was good, it was still slightly gooey when I cut into it later, so if you like yours a little drippy, then go with 45 to 50 minutes. Otherwise, go with 55 minutes to 1 hour. Also, I have no idea why, but none of my stuff comes out looking great. It always tastes good, but I have no clue why it comes out looking weird...

5 comments:

  1. I can't get my stuff to come out looking like the picture in the book either. The truth is once you cut into it - it's not going to look pretty anyway.
    I can't make pie crust. It's one of the things I want to learn so I end up making a lot of crisps which is just pie filling with an oatmeal topping. I think I like it better except it only works with fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go back to the red and white checkered cook book. Their recipe isn't that difficult. Also, that is why I always made dutch apple pies with the cinnamon topping. I didn't want to make a double crust. Where do you think you learned about pre-made pie crusts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following you now from Boost your blog Friday.

    I love to bake myself and looking forward to seeing all your creations!

    Ms.Z. from madeincropal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. New follower from Mingle Monday! Hope you can stop by and return the follow :)

    I also invite you to share your great recipes at What's Cooking Wednesday every week (goes live on Tuesday), so stop by tomorrow and linkup!

    http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Stumbling from STT! I'm following you, too!

    Kristin :)
    Keenly Kristin

    ReplyDelete