Saturday, November 20, 2010

Pear-Applesauce Cake

This recipe has been on my mind for over a week now and I finally made it today. Which should land me in the insane asylum, because today was a combination of a birthday party for my daughters and a Thanksgiving dinner for my family.

This came about because 1. I had a few things on hand and I wanted to make them. 2. I had a suggestion from a diet group I'm a part of. They wanted healthy recipes and this one came to be. It is incredibly healthy for you and it tastes amazing!

Pear-Applesauce Cake

Part 1: Pear-Applesauce

Ingredients:
4 medium apples, cored and sliced
3 medium pears, cored and slice
2 Tablespoons cinnamon

Throw all three ingredients into your crockpot and allow them to cook on low for about 5 hours or high for 3.

Once cooked, allow it to cool. Then blend the whole thing until smooth (to your desired consistency, but at least somewhat smooth).

This makes 8 1/2 cup servings. It tastes good all by itself.

Part 2: Cake

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter softened
1/4 cup Stevia OR 1 cup Sugar OR 1 cup Splenda
1 1/2 cups pear-applesauce
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)

Turn the oven to 325 minutes

In a large bowl, mix butter, stevia or sugar, and pear-applesauce until thoroughly combined.

In another bowl, mix both types of flour and baking soda. Slowly add the flour mixture to the pear-applesauce mixture until thoroughly incorporated. Add in raisins and walnuts if you are using them and mix well.

Pour the batter into a greased 8x8 square pan or a loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes. Allow it to cool completely before serving.

Despite the fact that the only "liquid" is the applesauce and that you added whole wheat flour which is exceptionally thick, it's incredibly moist and so good. I love it! You'll love it! And it's healthy for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment