Monday, October 4, 2010

Peach Cobbler

This is the recipe I mentioned earlier that I needed to fix. The first time I made this, I attempted to make a peach pie and it turned out to be peach soup! While it tasted OK, it certainly did not come out right!

So I did some tweaking, threw out the crust completely and turned this into a peach cobbler. And trust me when I say it's good! There are no pictures today, since I made pie at the same time I made dinner & did not have time for pictures too. You'll just have to trust me on my directions.

Ingredients:
5 to 6 peaches (about 2-3 lbs)
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (no, I'm not kidding. If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, substitute 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon nutmeg)
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
1/2 cup flour
2/3 cup rolled oats (try not to use instant or quick oats. If you do, the top may burn slightly. Rolled or Regular oats are much better for this)

Tools:
Large bowl
Medium bowl
Knife
9 inch round pan

Turn the oven to 400 degrees.

Cut as much of the peach flesh from the pit as possible. If you want, you can peel you peaches as well. I don't, but that's a total preference issue.

Put the sliced up peaches into a large bowl. Add the pumpkin pie spice, cornstarch and 2 Tablespoons brown sugar. Using your hands, coat the peaches with the dry ingredients. The easiest way to do this is simply pick them up and move them around in the bowl until they are completely covered.

In the medium bowl, add the 3/4 cup brown sugar, flour and oats into the bowl. Using your fingers, pull the butter apart into small chunks. Mix the dry ingredients with the butter until well combined. If you have a food processor (I don't) then you can throw all of it into the food processor and run it until you have a good mixture.

Put the peaches into the pan and add the oat mixture on top. Bake for 35 minutes. It will turn out very well, with a thick glaze all over your peaches and a top that tastes amazing. You can either add whipped cream or vanilla ice cream or eat it plain. It's good in any form.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great, and I'm sure it IS great, but it's technically a peach crisp, not a peach cobbler. A cobbler usually has a biscuitlike crust or a single pie crust on top.

    ReplyDelete