Sunday, September 12, 2010

Olive Oil Cake-Part 1

I'm sure you are wondering why I made a "Part 1" on a recipe. It is because there is no recipe tonight. Instead, there is me, sitting up at midnight looking at recipes, pulling out the pieces and parts so that I can bake this tomorrow. I never got that far today, being more worried about relaxing with my family and remembering the tragedy that befell America, and in many ways befell the world. It's been 9 years since it happened. In some ways its easier for me to count than most people. I graduated from high school the previous summer. The college I was desperate to attend was in New York City, although not Lower Manhattan. I didn't get in and sat instead sat in an office like most of America, watching as the unthinkable happened.

Tomorrow, there will be cake. Olive oil cake, in fact, although I may need to make a grocery run (that's to be determined). Today, instead, I remembered the men and women who did what so many others did on September 11, 2001. They went to work, busy with their lives. Yet unlike most Americans, they did not come home to greet their families. They never left Lower Manhattan. It makes you stop and think, and appreciate those who died and those who still live.

September 11, 2001. We will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment