Friday, September 24, 2010

Dark Chocolate Cookie Bars

*I made this yesterday, but didn't get it up...

Another crazy day, another chocolate recipe. Thursday is short day at kindergarten and grocery shopping day for me. Plus we have friends coming over to watch a movie tonight (always fun) so I was getting extra household stuff done and baking something. It's also been rather weird since my daughters decided they wanted to listen to "A Very Veggie Christmas". Yup, the Veggie Tales have a Christmas album and I listened to it today (including the 8 Polish Foods of Christmas!)

Since time was short, I wanted to do something rather quick but easy to serve later. Thus, Cookie bars. As easy to serve as a regular cookie, but none of the time consuming dropping of dough onto the sheet and waiting for each batch to cook.

I also didn't want to do regular chocolate chip cookie bars. Instead, I wanted chocolate and a lot of it. As I rustled through my cupboards looking for the cocoa powder, I noticed the Hershey Dark Chocolate Pieces I had bought last week. Perfect! And thus, Dark Chocolate Cookie Bars.

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 sticks butter (16 Tablespoons) softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups Hershey Dark Chocolate Pieces (approximately. It was a 10.5 oz bag)
Cooking spray or extra butter

Tools:

Medium mixing bowl
Large mixing bowl
Spoon
Mixer
13x9 inch baking pan

Turn the oven on to 350 degrees

Next, combine the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda in a small bowl.





Set this to the side. In the large bowl, combine the softened butter, sugar and vanilla.




Next, add the eggs and beat them well. Once you've added the eggs, grab your flour mixture and slowly add it to the sugar mixture. You may need to use a spoon to mix it completely. Next add in the Hershey Dark Chocolate pieces. It will look something like this:


Put the mix into the 13x9 pan. It was thick enough that I had to spread it with a spatula.


Put it in the oven and let it bake for about 22 minutes. It will look something like this:



After having a few last night, these remind me way more of brownies than cookies. The dark chocolate pieces basically had melted chocolate in a very thin coating, so you'd get a bit with amazing melted chocolate. They were incredibly moist too. If you need a chocolate fix, these are good. Also they look very "Halloween" with all the chocolate and the dark chocolate pieces being a dark orange and black.

No comments:

Post a Comment